Saturday, June 17, 2017

HIV tales from my diary – Tale 3.

http://aidssupport.aarogya.com/index.php

HIV tales from my diary – Tale 3. 

I was all set with packed baggages to visit the country which gave my son a degree ensuring a ” Green” future. Then suddenly I got a call from a friend and a surgeon. It is difficult to differentiate that he is a better surgeon or a better friend. Friends can be great surgeons and help remove your deficiencies silently as if working through a scope and shredding the stones in you with tripser. Good surgeons on the other hand , can be friendly even in most difficult situations. Rampal ( name changed) is one who is both. The call was to fix a dilemma. Dilemma of “to operate or not to operate “upon an advocate with a larger wound on thigh than his thigh itself. Seeing Ranvir ( name changed again , but the disclaimer is that change of name never changed the meaning of his name – he remained a fighter of battles, almost before signing surrender). I was double non plussed. First (non) plus as I did not know why I , a dermatologist, was called the second , how can I help while being ready for a journey of thousands of miles (Rampal knew about my flight etc much in advance ). A little further probe had the answers, however. Ranvir was HIV positive and my friend was in a fix as far as deciding future course of management of Ranbir’s ailment and that too in my absence. Loosing no time , I suggested some tests , which he could send me through Internet so as to take a call on antiretroviral drugs to salvage HIV in his body. I also suggested him to go ahead with surgical debridement etc. required after taking usual universal precautions. I flew away and so flew away the time. 
It is said no news is good news , I expected same while being away in umrika and thought and wished and prayed for Ranbir’s health. Goes without saying didn’t get any email, although. 
On my return , the thirsty mind’s pitcher was filled with good news of Ranvir’s healed wound as well as he being put on correct drugs. I was happy with science and my prayers. The only thing different than my expectations was of my friend’s effort. My absence and presence of HIV both scared him and Rampal took no risk, contrary to the dictum ” surgeons have to be bold in taking risks and lucky”. He sent the patient to PGIMER, Chandigarh, one of the best institutes of the country. Ranvir’s winning the battle was assured the moment he landed in safe hands of premier institute of the country. After the battle was won , he was sent to me to carry on with the war till finish. 
I was happy , Ranvir was happy. 
We became friends more than patient doctor – the relationship was punctuated often by jokes full of intelligence. The atmosphere in his presence started assuming proportions of grandeur of happiness. The surround air full of laughter often brought smiles on sick patients waiting for their turns. His absence to come n collect his medicine quota every month will necessitate a phone call. My phone was usually taken by his wife and she became too familiar to my voice even in phone. 
Spring was about to usher in and leaves were falling all over, when Ranvir did not report. As usual my phone was replied by his wife but the tone that time was little rude. 
She broke the news of Ranvir’s surrender to the war against HIV. He signed off leaving an unforgettable remark ” tummy is full of drugs , can’t take anymore. “. 
His memories at his worst and at his best will keep hanging in my mind the way the memories of his hanging body will linger in his wife’s life time memory. 
How can a fighter by name be not fighter in action. Seems Shakespeare had a doctor in his mind when he wrote ” what is there in a name “. 
Kaash– may be he succeeded in hiding his real emotions behind the jokes and signed off when he was winning rather than at the time he was loosing life’s battle. I could not read his mind. The advocate in him could not plead ” life” 
I wish there is no “Ranvir” in my medical life again and no Ranvir could ever again hide his mental agony behind laughter. May all Ranvir’s plead life and win battles of diseases and wars of death. 
 Rakesh Bharti 

No comments: